Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Junior Cotillion

This weekend, Sydney will be attending Junior Cotillion for the second time. In my city, Junior Cotillion is a "nonprofit, private organization offering dance instruction and dances for all (my city) ninth-graders." Basically, it is a place to learn a variety of dances and social and dance etiquette.
When Sydney first broached the subject of Cotillion, she said that there was going to be something coming in the mail and as soon as I recieved it (the absolute very second), I had to fill it out and take it to a certain mailbox (and no other would do, because this mailbox would get it there the quickest), or she was going to be the only one of all her friends who would be excluded from this event.
I got all wrapped up into the Cotillion drama, cancelled my plans for the day, and was sitting at my mailbox on the day that the invitations were to arrive. I dutifully filled out the registration form, placed the check in the envelope and drove to the specified mail drop. The *emotional stress* accompanying this exchange was exhausting;)
Luckily, I must have done all the right things, because she made it in. Sydney was thrilled.
The stress was far from over, though. In the fall, we had to come up with a western outfit for the Western Themed dance. After many trips to the mall, many harried phone calls to her friends, and a trip to Springfield to pick up some cowboy boots (just kidding, we were actually there for a soccer tournament), Sydney was ready for the dance. She loved every minute of it. I loved it as well... I was asked to chaperone at the last minute.
Here are a few photos from the evening...








Now, we're gearing up for the next series, which is Ballroom Dance. We have been frantically trying to put together a semi formal outfit that does not look trashy. This is very difficult, as many of the dresses out there are not fit for a 15 year old. Sydney and I had a few good laughs over some of the dresses that she tried on... OMG, she looked like a street walker in more than one of them. Luckily, we were able to come to an agreement and purchased a very pretty black & cream dress. It's a little shorter than I would have liked- we had to sacrifice length for fit- but she looks gorgeous in it. Now, if she can only walk in the shoes, she'll be fine:)

3 comments:

Terri and Bob said...

Ooo how fun! I will really look forward to seeing the different themes. The western theme is adorable. I see Taylor Swift wearing her boots with skirts all the time.

BREZZ said...

awesome!
and cute as ever-- as usual-
i take it the cowboy boots won't work with the new dress ? :))
bah- i kid.

happy weekend-

CrazyDeb said...

You are such a great mom!!