Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Catch Up & Whining

It happens periodically.
I'm really not sure why.
Maybe, it's because winter is fast approaching.
Cold weather and snow are fine for a month or two, but then I'm ready for some sunshine & humidity.
Maybe, it's just because life gets in the way.
We get busy and blogging is the first thing to go.
Facebook has been another distraction. It was all-encompassing to me for a few months. I think I'm over that, though. This weekend, I deactivated my account. There are many positive aspects to FB. I've connected with a ton of people that I haven't talked to in years. Heck, I've been trying to recruit all my friends... telling them that it's the greatest thing ever. For me, though, I realized that it was getting in the way of face-to-face personal interactions. It was also getting in the way of my personal responsibilities to my family... "wait a second, I've gotta check my FB first".
I think one of the biggest reason for my absence, is due to fear.
I know that writing has never been one of my strengths. One of the reasons that I started this blog, was to help conquer this fear. You know, practice makes perfect.
Fears related to this blog:
I fear that I'm unable to make the mundane sound interesting.
I fear that nobody will want to read what I have to say.
I fear that I'm going to put an apostrophe or comma in the wrong place.
Most of all, I fear that I will sound stupid.
So, what am I going to do about this?
I'm going to plow through.
I'm going to try not to worry about what other people think... at least on my blog.
I'm going to chronical the events in my kiddos' everyday lives (Is that apostrophe in the right place? Is it "life" or "lives"?) That's one of the reasons I started this blog, anyway.
I'm going to write about what I want to write about, when I want to write about it.
I'm going to post tons of pictures that will probably bore the heck out of everyone but me and my family.
I'm going to write how I want to write... with errors and all.
I realize that I have put these pressures on myself. That's usually the way it is with most people, I suppose. I'm feeling a bit empowered, so I'm going to do something about it.

Moving on...
Lots of things have happened around here that I've failed to mention.
1. In August, my parents took my kids and their cousins to KC on the train.
I've always loved going to the train station in my parent's town. There are cobblestone streets, gorgeous old buildings, beautiful gardens... a photographer's dream. The anticipation of the train is always a highlight... or it was until we had to wait 2 hours for one. We weren't waiting alone, either. We were waiting alongside several who were just being released from prison, as well as prison guards who were making sure that their charges were getting the heck out of dodge.
I don't mean to sound prejudice against felons who've served their time. It's just that it's a little unnerving putting 6 kids on a train with two grandparents and a number of newly released parolees. It just is.





2. Griffin learned to ride a bike. I know, I know... he's 9 years old, and just learning to ride a bike. You have to understand that my kids have brittle bones. Just look at what Griff did stepping off the bottom of the slide at a neighbor's house at age 4.



The kids have had 6 broken bones among them due to sports or playground equipment. Can you really blame me for not actively pursuing the bike thing?
Anyway, my dad offered to buy him a bicycle and teach him how to ride. At age 9, I felt like I could no longer shelter him from this. It only took the weekend for him to learn. He's a total addict now. He loves his bike!!




3. Griffin decided that he wanted to play fall ball. Since the girls were busy with soccer, we felt that it was only fair to let Griffin
pursue this endeavor. He got nailed in the leg by a pitch during one of the first games. It left a huge bruise on his thigh and it affected his hitting. He jumped away from pitches the rest of the season.
I've told you before how Griffin is not a runner. In fact, I made his doctor watch him run down the hall (the reason unbeknownst to him, of course) at his well-check visit, to make sure he was normal.
During his games, if the pitcher walked him, we would hear the coach yelling at him to hustle. HH and I would look at each other and laugh... because we knew that Griff was moving as fast as he could move.
That really sucks for a little boy who's 12 year old sister ran the mile at school in 6 min. 30 sec..


12 comments:

Household Executive said...

i enjoyed this post! i haven't read an entry that you were so vulnerable in for quite some time. you are a good writer and your entries are always interesting...at least to me. :)

Terri and Bob said...

I love coming here because:

a. Your writing is frank, upbeat and hilarious.
b. Your children are interesting, involved and all around adorable.
c. You keep it real about your life.

I don't read your blog for:

a. spelling mistakes
b. grammar errors

Have a great Thanksgiving!

NanaD said...

This is your best entry ever! I give it an A+! I know I am the reason (or, at least part of the reason) that you feel inadequate as a writer. I feel I must always be the English teacher correcting any errors and/or the mother not wanting you to look bad in any way. For that, I am sorry. Keep writing!
Love,
Mom

misocancook said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. I have loved reading your posts and have been checking everyday for a new one. You are a great writer/blogger! I am sad you cancelled your FB but I totally understand.

LaurieJo said...

I completely understand and identify with your fears. I loved the post and really respect your vulnerability. Usually after I write a post that exposes me a little bit, I feel a little sicker rather than better.

I loved the post and it is great to have you back!

SOUL: said...

hey you---
i agree-- no whining here--
you can have your fears-- they are real to you--
but we love you for YOU-- and we love your kids too
Griff cracks me up every time you say anything about him. and your girls are just girls to be proud of.

as for your writing... nobody cares about syntax (see i don't even know if that's the right word :O)
but really no one cares about grammar-- or punctuation, or apostrophes, crossed t's dotted i's non of that-- we just want to see you and know that you and yours are well and happy-- and you know we love to hear your stories. i just can't imagine a day in your house. i bet y'all laugh more in a day than we do here all week long.

anyhow-- HAPPY THANKSGING
to your whole family-
gobble gobble-

Alpha Dude 1.5 said...

Whinning? Naw, you're just being real.

I like coming here and reading your stuff. Sometimes you crack me up.

There are times I wished we were neighbors because you are what real friends are made of.

Go ahead, write what you feel, and I will stop by and read it. I'll even pick on you once in a while.

Blessings to you my good friend.

John DeMarco said...

EE I love your blog. Even though I've never met you I feel like I know you. You are a bright spot on the web and that's why I keep coming back.

CrazyDeb said...

You, my friend, do have a talent for writing, have a wonderful family, live life to the fullest, and I feel blessed that you share it with us. I look for your blog every single chance I get and you make my day better. Thank you for coming back to blogging. I look forward to each one - pictures and writing - with great anticipation. Love you much!

Janel@Dandelion Dayz said...

Great great post!
I worry about all of the same things on my blog and often just have to remind myself that the blog is a hobby of mine and not something to impress...mostly people I don't even know.

I think your blog is fun and warm and your stories are always interesting and funny. Keep it up!

(I would have freaked a little with the train thing and the parolees, too) :)

Jana said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I feel the same way about blogging! I read everyone elses (including yours) and feel like I can't be as funny or write as well as everyone else. I will keep plowing through too!
I have often thought about deleting my facebook account. It takes up too much time and is so addicting! But something stops me everytime...maybe I should just pull the plug without thinking! :o)

I don't blame you for being nervous about the felons. I'd totally be nervous with my baby on a train with a recently released convict!

Rodney Long said...

As usual you are way to hard on yourself. I know that when I found this blog my thoughts had nothing to do with grammer. I was just so excited that I could check in on one of my favorite people in my past. You have such a natural ability to be funny, witty and real about things. People need that and being a fellow Facebook person, I can safely say that when that is taken out of a person life it is deeply missed. Stay real, Stay funny, and Stay the Erin we all love!! Rod