Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summer Camp

On Saturday, Sydney returned from her first experience at church camp. She was gone for six days and we were unable to phone her during this time, though we did write...
Of course, I didn't even think about letter writing until saw another parent at the store who said that she had been sending letters everyday. Man, I really dropped the ball on that one... another reason that I won't be voted Mother of the Year:o
She had a wonderful time and made lots of new friends.
While she was gone, I was talking to my friend who had talked to several kids who had attended this camp earlier in the summer. She said that these kids said that one of the main topics of the week was the book of Revelations.
I was surprised, to say the least.
This book can be quite frightening... I know it scares the heck out of me.
A few days after she returned and she had told me about all of the activities she had participated in and all of the neat things she had done, I asked her about it.
She said that, yes, it had been discussed during their group time. She went on to say that every morning when they gathered, the kids were reminded that they were lucky to still be alive. She was very nonchalant when talking about it. I totally got the giggles.
I mean, CAN YOU IMAGINE????
I'm not saying that this subject should not be discussed with kids. I don't, however, think it should be covered at summer camp.
It's a confusing subject, and I'm not really comfortable with just anyone discussing this with my child. I guess that I've worked with our Family Life Pastor long enough to know that at our church it would be taught/discussed in an age appropriate manner that would not FREAK OUT children.
Anyway, I seem to be dwelling on this WAY more than she is, so I'm going to try to get over it and just show you a few pictures from the week...










Griffin's Letter To Syd.. You've gotta read it, it's adorable!!!

Dear Sydney- I hope you are having a great time. We all miss you so much. On Monday at school I was hurt and I went to the nurses office for an hour and a half. I have been struggling with kids in my class. I'm sure you're having a better time. Oh yeah, I forgot. On Tuesday, I won a ice cream card. Please say hi to Grant for me. I wish you would come home. We all miss you AND WE PROMISE you will see JACK again.
P.S. I love you Sydney. We all Do. Love, Griffin

9 comments:

Megan said...

that letter breaks my heart! you need to buy that kid a journal...he's a very good writer & you should be proud he is expressing his emotions! way to go! griffin & mom! :)

PS- HH looks so nervous in that picture!

C.A. said...

Two things....

Griffins letter made me cry.

My niece is at show choir camp. My sister didn't think of writing every day either...AND...my nieces roomate has a Mom who sent a surprise wrapped up for every day her daughter was at camp. That means my sister uber sucks at Mom-hood.

Awesome pictures, as always, E!

Hugs...

C.A.

Jen A said...

Oh my gosh! That letter is so adorable! How sweet!

Looks like your daughter had a great time at camp, too!

imaeskimo said...

Griffins letter touched me.
It looked like camp was fun.
Reminds me of my church camp.

imaeskimo said...

BTW...way to go with that 10 1/2 lbs!

Jana said...

AWWW CUTE LETTER!!

I totally agree with you about the teaching of revelations to a younger group. It is a very scary subject, especially the 7 years of tribulation and the anti christ. It's scary to me as well, so I'm planning on just going in the rapture if I'm still here:o) So... I only tell Austin for now that we have to have faith and believe, ask for forgiveness, and love Jesus and we will go to heaven, but I can't imagine telling Austin about all of that! It would give him nightmares!!!! Definitely a more grown up subject...

CrazyDeb said...

Believe it or not I have comments. :o) First, I think in a way our church has spoiled us - it's hard when others don't handle things in the same way they do.

You are NOT a bad mom!!! Not by a long shot!

The picture of HH kissing S on the head is so sweet. The picture of G hugging her is great.

The letter - oh man G! What a heart you have. I LOVED it!!! That is something S should keep for ever.

Love ya!

Biddy said...

now that i've wiped the drool up from seeing yet another picture of your HH...

that letter is the most adorable thing ever!

Household Executive said...

where did she go to camp?