Thursday, June 26, 2008

Community Beds... A Success Story

You'll be happy to know that after 14 1/2 years of marriage, HH and I are finally sleeping in the same bed...alone, meaning NO kids and NO animals.

It all started out innocently enough when Sydney was 5 months old.
My poor little baby came down with a cold. We brought her into our bed one night, and she didn't leave for 8 years.
When Reilly came along, she was colicky and had sleep terrors. It was just easier to have her in bed with us, since she was up 4-5 times a night.
While Sydney slept like a rock, Reilly was a sleeper's worst nightmare...kicking, mumbling, screaming, tossing and turning and stealing covers.
When Griff made his appearance, the girls were 5 & 3. We soon found that six in the bed (yes, we added a 100 pound Golden Retriever to the mix) was a bit crowded, so we moved the girls to sleeping bags on the floor.

To tell you the truth, I secretly loved this cozy arrangement. I had irrational fears of horrible things happening to my babes in the wee hours of the night... intruders breaking in, a fire separating us, sickness...the list goes on and on. If you can't tell, I was/am the queen of creating "what if" scenarios.
Alone time with my husband was never a real issue, as we learned to be creative early on;)

Back to the story, though...
At around age 8, Sydney decided that she'd had enough nocturnal togetherness, and moved into her own room.
That left myself, HH, Reilly, Griffin, Crosby (the dog) and Buster (the cat) to fare our nights together in our king-size haven.
All was well for a few years, until a few things changed...
The mattress became an issue for HH's bad back (he also snored) and I became an insomniac (and not a very respectful one, I might add). The kids also started complaining about having to fall asleep to the scary "Lawn" & Order.
HH spent a few months sleeping on the floor in the basement and I stayed with the kids (plus a new dog and cat) in our room.
At this time, Griffin started whining about little things during the night. I came up with the brilliant idea of redecorating his room, in hopes of luring him away from mine.
It worked...kind of.
Griff insisted that HH sleep with him, on the floor in a very small space next to his bed.
Sydney continued on in her room, while Reilly bounced back and forth between mine and Syd's.

Fast forward to last weekend...
Griffin said to me, "Mom, do you think that dad could sleep in your room from now on? He comes in when I'm sleeping and turns on sports and it wakes me up."
That's all we needed. I kicked Reilly out (and she subsequently moved onto Sydney's floor) and HH moved back to his spot in our bed. While we both were very uncertain how this arrangement would work, we're happy to report that this union has proved to be a success!
And to think, it only took us 14 1/2 years....

5 comments:

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Finally...Bow Chicka Wow Wow! Right? Am I right? LOL

Angie said...

LOL! Glad to know we aren't alone! We still play musical beds at our house. It cracks me up some mornings to see Ole tucked under a purple comforter surrounded by Webkinz and American Girls dolls:) I don't think I'd have it any other way -except for maybe a king size bed instead of a queen!

That Chick Over There said...

Oh. Bless your heart.

Jana said...

Too funny! My sister did this with my nephew when he was a baby and two years later when she got pregnant again I immediately asked "How the hell did that happen?" They were being creative too... ;)

Alpha Dude 1.5 said...

Congratulations.

Sort of a graduation day, eh?

Blessings.