Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Teenager

I have a teenager. I'm going to say it again, because it just doesn't seem possible...I have a teenager.
On August 31, 1994, I was 8 days overdue. I had not dilated, and was heading into the holiday weekend. Dr. Feeler (yes, that was actually my gynecologist's name) finally agreed to speed the process up a bit and told me to arrive at the hospital at 6:30 the next morning for an induction.
I was too excited over the thoughts of the impending birth, I couldn't sleep. I spent the evening catching up on my ironing. I think I finally turned in at 3:00am.
HH and I arrived at the hospital at 6:30am on September 1st.
I was hooked up to machines and given my first dose of Pitocin.
I had brought two video rentals, thinking that we could enjoy watching movies while we waited.
We were too preoccupied to watch anything.
Too bad we were not preoccupied with contractions, because nothing was happening.
They increased the Pitocin.
Nothing.
At 6:30pm, Dr. Feeler returned. I was dilated to about a 1...and I think she was being generous. She wanted to turn off the Pitocin and start try again the next day, but my tears were too much for her.
She broke my water and the fun began.
I don't know if any of you have experienced Pit contractions, but they are extremely intense.
Contractions suck! I had not even had Braxton Hick's, so I was not prepared for the pain that I endured until the Epidural.
My mom came in to visit and started crying. She didn't like seeing her baby in pain.
The doctor made her leave.
After the Epidural everything was wonderful. HH and I were able to joke around. I don't really remember much of anything, until it was time to push.
So, at 12:06am on September 2nd (my Grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary), I pushed only 15 minutes and delivered a beautiful, healthy 9lb 4 oz baby girl. Holy Cow, she was huge!
Our lives have never been the same!







Sydney Taylor:
-She's a thinker. Unlike myself, she is not the least bit impulsive. In any given situation, she weighs her options and makes responsible decisions.
-She's a fantastic student. She takes her academics seriously. She stopped asking for my help on her homework last year when I caused her to get an 85% on a social studies assignment. This 4.0 student completes her homework and studies for tests without prompts from her parents.
-She's an athlete. Soccer and softball are her sports and she takes them seriously.
-She loves God and she loves people. She has been volunteering at our church since she was in the 2nd grade.
-She prefers meat and potatoes to junk food. However, she could eat a can of whipped cream by itself in one setting.
-She watches ESPN, cooking shows (what the heck?), and The Disney Channel.
-She's a spender. Money seems to burn a hole in her pocket.
-She's a night owl. She prefers to stay up late and sleep late, but she has been setting her alarm and getting herself up for school every morning for the past 2 years.
I could go on and on bragging about this girl. God has truly blessed us!
Happy Birthday, Sydney!

25 comments:

C.A. said...

I LOVE the series of pictures! Awesome post! Today is my daughters 15th birthday, also!

Has softball wound down yet for you guys? Were getting ready to go to Regionals soon.

Kate said...

too cute - thanks for sharing. what a big baby! thanks for freaking me out about labor ;) lol

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Beautiful pictures!

But really? Dr. Feeler? How did you ever see a gyno named Dr. Feeler? I'd laugh through the whole exam!

An Iowa Mom said...

I loved seeing the pictures of her growing up. That is an awesome idea. I wish I would have thought of that for Drew last week ... but shoot, maybe I'll remember next year. :)

Happy Birthday to your little girl, even though she IS a teenager!!!

Dana said...

What a beautiful teenager! Happy Birthday Sydney.

Sydney and my 13 yr old (Al) sound so much alike (with the exception of soccer and softball).

Biddy said...

she is beautiful! too bad she didn't arrive on the 31st (that's my birthday...a few (10) years older though)

CrazyDeb said...

Sydney is beautiful inside and out! She's an amazing young lady. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm sure she's thrilled with the naked baby picture! I can just picture your mom starting to cry when she saw you in pain.

Happy birthday sweet Syd!!!!

That Chick Over There said...

Oh how freaking sweet.

Kellie said...

The pictures are beautiful--just like your daughter!!

Happy Birthday!!

Gayle said...

She sounds perfect. Hmmm, arrainged marriage, anyone? Now if only my son were one year older.

I loved the pictures!

SOUL: said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SYD....
i wanna catch a bass as big as her!!!!
i also want your hubby to come clean my house!
my girl was induced...she only weighed 6lbs 7 oz. perfect baby! people asked if she was a c-section cuz her head was so perfectly round, and not cone heady...
syd had a round pretty head too!

ya done good E!!!
c ya soon

Alpha Dude 1.5 said...

Happy Birthday, Sydney!

Blessings to Mom and Dad!

mistihollrah said...

Happy Birthday! Great pictures! Life will never be the same! My first delivery was very similiar to your except my water broke & nothing happened for 12 hours until they started the pit-within 1 hour I had dialated from a 3 to 10 and delivered! I know what those contractions feel like. But isn't it worth it!

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention the fact that you dressed Sydney like a boy for the first 3 years of her life!

:)

CrazyDeb said...

Oh my - is that last comment from Aunt M? Sisters are always good for telling secrets. :o)

slackermommy said...

What a sweet tribute to your beautiful daughter!

Terri and Bob said...

This is an adorable post. My DD turns 22 this year, maybe I'll do the same for her. Love it.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Happy Birthday, Sydney!

Fantastic post!

Annette Lyon said...

What a great tribute. Scary how similar my labor was with my oldest, who will be a teenager on his next birthday. She's gorgeous!

Sniz said...

Hey Friend! As you know my oldest is 13 and will turn 14 in a few weeks and he doesn't care nearly as much about his appearance as your sweet Sydney. The picture montage was awesome! What a wonderful tribute! What has she said about it?

SOUL: said...

i can't believe you put american pie on here... i was tryin to think of those lyrics and went brain dead.
hmmm
good song.

where have you been hidin? you ok?

Robyn said...

Lovely photos thanks for sharing!

ConservaChick said...

What a wonderfuf post about your daughter! I'll be at the teenage years myself in 18 months... AHHHHHH!
Cooking shows??? Hmm, maybe that says something???? ( ; ~Karlie

moosh in indy. said...

This is sweet as heck, I wish my mom knew me this well.
Happy birthday girl, keep up on your food network.

Terri and Bob said...

Love the new banner! Excellent!