Friday, September 21, 2007

Squished Toes and Other Stuff

-HH and I completed our CPR/First Aid certification course last night. I'd totally forgotten how hard it is to sit and listen to someone lecture for 4 hours straight, two nights in a row. We did get to experience a little hands-on action, but mostly we sat...and sat...and sat.
HH and I had not been out alone together in a couple of months, so the classes kind of felt like dates. Of course we were surrounded by 10 other women and had our mouths on the dummies instead of each other but, hey, sometimes you have to take what you can get;)

-Reilly and I were engaging in a little verbal sparring one morning this week as we were driving to school. Griffin piped up and said, "Nice combat, mom."
Reilly and I looked at him kind of funny, and Reilly said, "What are you talking about?"
He replied, "You know, combat, like a dis."
I looked at him and asked, "Do you mean comeback...nice comeback?"
Yep, that's what he meant. Out of the mouths of babes...

-While subbing last week, I confiscated a cell phone from a kindergartner. You know, one of those "too cool for school" little boys in the baggy jeans and over-sized shirt.
One of his little friends ratted him out.
I'm pretty sure it was his mom's. The incident totally cracked me up, as well as the ladies in the office. They weren't surprised.
Things like this are the reason why I love subbing. No two days are ever the same...I love the unexpected!

-My grandmother did not actually have a heart attack as I last reported. My mother wanted me to clarify this. Just so you know, I'm not great with ths medical info., so anything medically related that I pass on to you, you may want to take with a grain of salt. Ok, EVERYTHING I tell you you may want to take with a grain of salt, but that's beside the point;)
Anyway, my grandmother's heart had stopped...she coded. On the upside, she is now doing pretty well. She's still in the hospital, but she's out of ICU. Also, she doesn't seem to be as confused, she's eating well, and she's pooping on her own...always a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

-I forgot to tell you about Reilly's tooth saga last month. She lost a total of three teeth in one day. Ok, she actually only lost one of them naturally...the other two were pulled at the dentist's office.
While we were on our shopping trip for Syd's birthday, Reilly started complaining that her tooth felt funny. Her tooth had a small brown hole on the outside of it. A few minutes later, she was holding a small piece of it in her hand.
I took her to the dentist the next day, and he informed us that this is totally normal. Baby teeth often start to weaken and break before they actually fall out. Did you know this? I didn't.
He gave her the option of letting the tooth fall out on its own, or letting him pull it. She opted for the latter, and he took the tooth next to it as well (it was loose, too).
I had never seen a tooth pulled, and imagined him bringing out these huge pliars to do it. That's not the way it happened. He took a little pick-like instrument and actually chiseled the teeth out. It was very interesting...especially since it wasn't happening to me;)
That evening, Reilly lost a third tooth on her own. Unfortunately, the tooth fairy didn't have any cash on hand, so poor the poor girl had to wait 3 days for him (yes, our T.F. is male) to make his appearance.

-I always find it very interesting to find out how people get to my blog. Here are the latest searches that I got a kick out of:
1. First grade teachers with tongue piercings
2. chicken breasts + women
3. Bert and Ernie + adult :o
4. dog breed in jo dee messina i'm alright video

-Sydney's foot grew two sizes over the summer. Do you want to know how I discovered this? Before her birthday (9-2), she casually mentioned that she would like to spend some of her birthday money on new Shox. When we went on her birthday shopping excursion, we hit Lady Footlocker. They measured her foot and it measured a size 8. The shoes that she had been wearing for the last 6 months, were a size 6.
I turned to her and asked her how long that she had been wearing them like that, and if they hurt her feet. She said that whenever she put them on, her toes would go numb but after that she couldn't feel them anymore, so it was ok. WTH????????

-Hope everyone has a great weekend. TTFN

14 comments:

Robyn said...

LOL! LOL! omgoodness I am tearing up with laughter! I just love your funny as heck! posts! Thanks for the chuckle!

Dana said...

I just hope that she doesn't get up to a size 12 like my daughter!

Alpha Dude 1.5 said...

Your life is so cool!

Blessings.

Terri and Bob said...

I love this! I can totally relate to the shoe thing... I'll let my toes go numb if I am wearing cool looking shoes.

Hey, if you ever want to sub for me...

Have a great weekend, yourself!

Sniz said...

OMG, I love this entry!!!! Your family sounds so much like my little corner of the world. Rielly's comment CRACKED ME UP! They come up with the funniest stuff...funnier than we could ever come up with as adults. A kindergartener with a cellphone? Dis? This entry's got it all. My little lost a tooth this week...it's always a toss-up whether the tooth fairy will actually remember to visit. Sometimes she gives the money to mom or dad and asks mom or dad to pass it on to the recipient sometime the next day. In fact, that's what usually happens! LOL!

CrazyDeb said...

Your blog is always a day brightener and it's because you and your family are fun, loving, smart, talented, and just interesting as all get out. You just bless my socks off!! However, I do believe I'll start checking out S's shoes from time to time. Numb toes are NOT fun!

Kellie said...

Dear God, the shoe thing is cracking me up :)

Also making me giggle? "Nice combat". Too funny :)

Glad your grandmother is doing better. Pooping on your own is always a good thing :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Oh yeah, that most dreaded CPR training. I have to use universal precautions at work and assume everyone has aids. As for cell phones and work, heck, not even my coworkers can have them (automatic three day suspension without pay), now just how uncool is that. Those kindergarteners learned quick don't they?

imaeskimo said...

Lol...I am laughing about the Nice combat! hehe

SOUL: said...

this is soo great ... grif..combat..comeback..too cute!

the teeth... my kid had to have NINE pulled in one sitting... to prepare for her braces a couple years ago. it hurt me more than her obviously...but even tho she was numb, she cried, in pain. she handled it MUCH better than i would have though. pulled through on motrin. i woulda begged for i don't know... but something MUCH stronger!

our tooth fairy has always been soulman too. good to know it's not just me.

and.. the shoe thing.. my kid did that too. wore too small shoes for i dont know how long without sayin anything.... why do they do that???
geesh.

anyhow... have a great day! if that can happen on a monday,

green said...

Wow, it's been a while since I stopped by to read what's going on with you and your family.

Nice new header and WOW large print. Holy cow!

(You ought to reduce the margins on the left and right to make it a bit easier on the eyes! I can help with this, if you need...)

Take care, ee!

Real Life in South Carolina said...

I don't know why I've never visited your blog before. I see you everywhere I go...well, not in a weird stalker sort of way...we just seem to read the same blogs. You're pretty darn funny.

That Chick Over There said...

You and those chicken breasts.

notfearingchange said...

Awesome post...yes i too always wonder how people get to my blog!