Saturday, August 18, 2007

While He Was Gone

When I bring up projects that I want to complete around the house, HH tends to feel a little bit apprehensive. Past experience has taught him that MY projects usually involve HIM.
So, when he told me that he was going to be in Dallas for a few days, I determined that this would be the perfect time to redo Griffin's bedroom. (For before pictures, click here)
While our house is only two years old, Griff's walls look like they haven't been painted in ten. There are black marks, dents, fingerprints, and unidentified substance spots everywhere...typical little boy stuff, I suppose, but it's been driving me nuts for a while now.
When HH left for the airport, I headed over to Westlake's for the supplies.
Aunt Debbie came over and repaired nail pops and various holes, and then I taped off the room. The kids and I completed the painting (2 coats)in one day. Reilly helped me cut-in around the woodwork, Sydney rolled the large area, and Griff did his own thing with a paint brush. I think the bottom of his closet probably recieved four or five coats:o
We moved his furniture around, hung the shelves and pictures, and made up his bed with the new bedding I found for fifty bucks at TJ Maxx. To sweeten the deal, I let Griff pick out a feather bed topper at Linens & Things.
He has slept in his room, in his bed by himself, every night since. If only I had thought of this sooner... Oh well, live and learn!



He still needs a chair and night stand, but those will have to wait for a while.
HH was surprised and impressed. I only left one item for him to hang...Griff's basketball goal.
TTFN

17 comments:

green said...

my ex's projects often involved me at first... then she got smart and didn't ask.

Lo and behold she discovered that her projects were more fun with out me. And for that I was thankful...

Gayle said...

Hubs has just gotten used to the idea that when he's away the paintbrushes come out. In fact, anytime one of the kids leave I do the same thing. Is it because I love suprises or that I can do it MY WAY while he's gone? Heck, I don't know, but at least it's getting done right?

His room looks great and clean and organized. Will it stay that way?

Biddy said...

love it!!!

my dad is so awesome...my mom always has a project and he always helps....what a trooper

CrazyDeb said...

What a lucky guy G is!! That's a great room. HH is pretty lucky too - getting out of the work. Are the girls wanting to do their rooms now? It's great they helped with their little brother's room!

Alpha Dude 1.5 said...

Wow. Nice job!

That is one cool looking room.

You done did good.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Great job! I've been saying that I'm going to paint the kid's rooms for months now. I really just need to do it!

Terri and Bob said...

I love that color on his walls, is it a caramel color? I love doing projects when DH is away because I don't have some one telling me to do it differently!

Dana said...

That room looks fantastic! I can't wait to get into our new house and starting painting the kids rooms.

SOUL: said...

that is very very cool. i am so not handy in such ways when it comes to decorating or painting etc.
wish i was.
i used to be...but my imagination flew the coop along with my energy.
good job!!!

notfearingchange said...

nice job!

Sniz said...

Beautiful room! If he's like my son, it won't stay looking quite so neat, so it's good you have this picture to refer to! :-)

Anonymous said...

Herself decided to take a different approach since her last 5 projects left me grumpy and with no time on my hands.

What she does now is buy furniture. Just a few months ago, she bought the bedroom furniture set that we've gone without for the past bunch of years. She knows I hate to put in furniture unless the room has a new coat of paint, dustbunnies get vac'ed up, curtains cleaned, etc.

Funny how she never said she wanted the walls painted... woulda been cheaper, too.

meow

Household Executive said...

looks great. TW thinks the same when i tell him of a project for us, that it really means for him...he is usually right. :)

Robyn Haas said...

Gee! Can you come and help me?! lol! I have a very empty house and don't know where to start! It truly is wonderful...you should feel very proud of yourself it is stunning! Thanks for sharing!

queenbusick said...

can you post the color sample you used? I like that - I have to redo my boys room to a neutral this spring - right now screaming red & blue from Cars isn't a big selling point for the house!

Amy P said...

Very very cute

Take 2 is coming up....I can't decide if I want to committ.

An Iowa Mom said...

I have threatened hubby that I will do the exact same thing when he goes out of town later this month. He always insists on doing all the painting. Drives me nuts!! I really really want my craft room painted and shelves installed, etc ...

The room looks great. You all did a GREAT job.