Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Vacation: Days 1 & 2

Friday:
HH and I left the kids in care of my mom and dad, and drove to St. Louis. HH was in charge of the hotel accomodations for that evening.
Never again.
He reserved a room online at the Best Western by the airport. After following the directions printed out from the web-site, we spent an hour trying to locate this place.
After numerous stops...nobody seemed to know of this hotel, we finally discovered that the Best Western had been bought out 3 years ago by another chain, and the name had been changed.
We finally arrived at our destination, only to discover that the place was a complete dive. The hallways were filthy, and the room wasn't much better.
We spent our first night alone, in double beds:0
I was afraid to touch the bedspread...you remember the dateline report on the analysis of hotel bedspreads...yeah, that's all I could think about:0
Needless to say, it was not a restful sleep.
HH's response to our room: "The Ritz is going to look really good after this dive."
Heck, this place made Motel Sex (hmmm 6), look like a palace!

Anyway, we awoke very early and headed to the airport. Steve popped a Klonopin (for his intense fear of flying) about an hour before the flight. We boarded the plane, and this is how my husband spent the entire 2 1/2 hour flight...

We made it safely to Miami, and rented a car to take us to our hotel.

We should have taken a cab.
Being lost in downtown Miami is not fun...In fact, it's downright scary!
Let me tell you how many people we encountered that spoke English...ZERO!
Let me tell you how many of the businesses and residences had bars on the windows...ALL of them:0

Things took a change for the better once we crossed over in to the keys...ah, pure bliss!
We spent a few hours lounging by one of the pools (that's my white boy!)

and enjoyed a relaxing evening in our luxurious, down-filled king-size bed!

Day 2:
I'm sick of writing, so I'm going to share this day in photos:





Unfortunately, the party on the lawn/beach was cut short by a huge storm, so we headed up to our room to find the lights dimmed, the bed turned down, chocolates & bottled waters on the night stands, and "I'll Be Watching You" by The Police, softly playing on our clock radio. Ok, that freaked us out a bit:0
We also discovered the first of 6 gifts left for us on the bed...


To Be Continued...

13 comments:

moosh in indy. said...

Why does everything taste better mini? Cheeseburgers? SOOO much better mini.

queenbusick said...

cute little backpack..what was inside? the suspense the suspense!!!

EE said...

Moosh- The problem with mini burgers is that you can't eat just one!
Tina- Picnic supplies!

Kellie said...

Poor HH on the plane :(

Great pictures--love the little backpack with picnic supplies in it!!

theotherbear said...

Oooh, I want a mini cheeseburger!
And a new picnic set - that's a nice score.

Gayle said...

Ok, I'm thinking corporate retreat? This looks just like the kind of stuff we used to go on when hubs was making the big bucks at a big corporation. They really know how to take care of ya huh? We used to come in every night to gifts waiting on the beds and let me tell ya, I can get used to that. Oh yes I can!

Gayle

That Chick Over There said...

Looks like he got some sun! :)

Slackermommy said...

Glad your trip improved! There aren't many nice hotels close to the airport. You think there would be.(I live in St. Louis)Our city sucks like that.

Alpha Dude 1.5 said...

Jealous.

Big Time.


Yeah.

Annie said...

I LOVE the Keys!

SOULMANGE: said...

looks like a great time!!!! but man i know what ya mean about the beadspread thing. if it aint the hilton...that thing goes straight onto the floor as soon as i walk in. i can't stand the thought of being near them.... even before i saw that story on tv... i just knew they didn't wash them every time someone used em. ewwwww. i'm gettin itchy just thinking about it. blech.

ConservaChick said...

Hey, I'm so glad your vacation took a turn for the better. I saw that expose on motel sheets... EW! So, I discovered your blog via Gayle a few days ago, loved your grocery post, and stole it. Just thought I'd let you know I totally plagiarized your idea over at my blog. Thanks for the creative fuel... I'll be back again. ~Karlie

Eve said...

I'm late catching up. You guys are so cute! Can't wait to read the rest of the adventure...