Sunday, May 20, 2007

I Did My Duty



My friend, Janet, guilted me into going on the 1st grade field trip to Runge Nature Center.
I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I absolutely hate field trips!
Up until a couple of years ago, I dutifully went on every field trip that arose...the vet, the dentist, the state capital, the Alpaca Farm, the pumpkin patch, the theater...
Lately, though, unless the kids have specifically asked, I have left the chaperoning to the young moms and supermoms.
Guilt got the best of me, though...I had not been on a field trip with Griffin since preschool.
The kids loaded onto buses, and Janet and I loaded into my vehicle.
We ran a few errands in JC and then entered the nature center parking lot. There had to have been 50 adults (mostly moms) standing in front of the building waiting for the buses. It was a little overwhelming!
Despite my complaining, I really did have an ok time, and Griffin was excited to have me there. Whenever he saw something interesting, he would look over at me and mime taking a picture.







Like I said, the first part of the field trip was not too bad. It was the second half that was the killer!
After the nature center, we drove to my least favorite park in the world! I hate this park because it is huge! You cannot sit in one place and leisurely observe your kids at play. You have to follow them, which isn't so bad when they're little. When they're older, it's torture!
After lunch, I chased my child around the park. This was one of the rare moments that he sat...

Griff couldn't understand why I wouldn't let him play in this bushy secluded area

which Janet dubbed The Super Secret Child Molester Spot...ewwwwww!

Anyway, Janet didn't have to worry about her daughter exploring hidden nooks. Little S. spent the entire time on the swings.

which allowed Janet to lounge on a nearby rock and work on her tan...

Grrrrrrrr!!!

7 comments:

Kellie said...

Hmm..here's to hoping when Morgan's old enough for field trips that I can be like Janet and lounge on the rock and not have to chase my kid all over. :)

CrazyDeb said...

1st pic - didn't anyone ever tell Janet you can get warts from kissing frogs? As hard as it was on you my friend, it's something Griff will remember for a very long time - one of the mom sacrifices. Next time trade kids with Janet.

Eve said...

4 words: been there, done that.

The vacation run-down is fabulous, by the way. I'm not one for Miami either. Besides the fact that my Spanish is hideous... everyone is too skinny and tan and perfect! It's like taking an Instant Ugly Pill once you step off the plane! ha ha

Can't wait to hear the rest!

looking for feedback said...

To all interested moms:

I would like to invite you to participate in a research study of parenting views and practices. Dr. Kim White-Mills and Dr. Catherine Dobris of IUPUI (both are moms) are interested in understanding what sources parents find useful in their parenting practices, how parents use different parenting information, and what views parents across the county hold regarding parenting issues.

To access this survey, go to http://www.iupui.edu/~momviews/

Shauna said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

LOVE the photos!!! But yes, vacations can be a little bit too much closeness sometimes.

soulmange said...

those are great pics...i'd love to own a house like that place up top!!!

Amy P said...

Congrats Erin, I was going to comment on your trip, but you've reached marketing potential now....maybe you and HH can quit your jobs and you can sell ad space on your blog. I think this is a new milestone too, celebrate!