Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Goodbye Tomboys, Hello "Girly" Girls

Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, my girls are not your typical "girly" girls. They prefer baseball to dancing, soccer shorts to mini-skirts, chap stick to lipstick, tattoos to sparkles... yeah, you get my drift!
My friend, Julie, reminded me the other day about her daughter's birthday party at Libby Lou's. While the other little 8 year olds were going nuts trying on all the fun tube tops, boas, minis, and furry little numbers, my daughter (Reilly) sat in the background refusing to remove her soccer sweatshirt (looking very uncomfortable, I might add).
Anyway, this past weekend I took the girls to get their hair trimmed. It was way past their lunchtime, so I dropped them off at the salon and ran through McDonald's to grab them a bite to eat. When I returned, our hairdresser was finishing up with Sydney. To my surprise, her hair was three inches shorter with some long, wispy bangs. She looked terrific!! She was fluffing her hair in the mirror, and she could NOT take her eyes off herself! She even exclaimed, "I feel like I'm on What Not To Wear" (you know, the Nick Arrojo part of the show)
Reilly was up next. While she was getting her hair washed, and her temples massaged, Sydney told me that she would like to eat her lunch in the car. Five minutes later, I looked out the window...Sydney was in the car with the mirror down, and was fluffing her hair while stuffing french fries in her mouth:0
Back to Reilly...her hair had been washed, and she was sitting in the chair telling Sarah, our hairdresser, how she only wanted her hair barely, barely trimmed. I'm sure the memories of her last "real" haircut were still pretty fresh in her mind. A year ago, I talked her into getting a darling chin-length bob. She was sooo distraught, she missed a day and a half of school over it...my bad!
Anyway, she, too, insisted on the long, wispy bangs, and when the trim was over, she, too, (I know I'm getting a little nuts with the commas) could not stop primping and fluffing in the mirror. Her first comment about the cut..."I think I could SO be one of those prissy girls!"

Well, here are my new, made-over "girly-girls"...




Yes, that's Sydney's hand giving little sis the "loser" sign!

14 comments:

CrazyDeb said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Before you know it they will be all girly, girl and the clothes will get more expensive and shoes, oh the shoes they will want. :o) You're going to have fun with all that!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

hA! THEY SOOO REMIND ME OF MY BLOND SISTER AND ME.

BUT I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT HAND SIGN AS SOMETHING GOOD. LOL

I GUESS I AM SO OLD AND OUT OF DATE ...I DON'T KNOW ALL THE LATEST SLANG.

MY (EMBARRASSING /OLD) BAD

Gayle said...

They are adorable. She really COULD be one of those prissy girls. (hee-hee) My 10 year old daughter identifies more with her 3 brothers than with the girly girls. But I do see a glimmer of hope. Lately we've had some very deep conversations over which shoes would match her outfit for church and my heart is going pitter patter at the thought of our future shopping trips and mani-pedis!!!!

Gayle

SOULMANGE: said...

ok...i'm jealous again. why can everyone but me, see the pictures??? i always see the pictures...but not now. ugh. and on a post that I am mentioned too. (by anon..that would be my sister...she never logs in, and it does get irritating, does it not?) anyways, maybe next time i come in i will see the girls new do's. i bet they are adorable.
take it easy

Izzy said...

Awww...they're adorable! (and I'm sure they LOVE to be called adorable, right? lol)

theotherbear said...

Cute :)
Wish my hair would look like that! Oh how I long for straight hair...

Jennifer said...

This post brought me back to 5th grade when I got the worst haircut of my life. I was so distraught, I should have missed 3 months of school. My mom made me go anyway. Hmph. You're a good mom for letting her sit out a day!

They look maaaahvelous!

SOULMANGE: said...

i CAN see them now! and i was right. great looking girls... and yup...you were right..the transition is on ! and so is the price change from 20.00 jeans to 60.00 jeans. oh the horror of it all. but aren't they great? sometimes. LOL.
catcha latah

mist1 said...

I wasn't a girlie girl either. Things have changed.

Recreio dos Bandeirantes said...

Very cute... I like them hair!

So, im new in blogger's life...
Do you know Brazil?
Im show a part of the wonderful place that I live...

can you add my blog in your favorites?
ty

That Chick Over There said...

They are just beautiful girls.

Amy P said...

Did you keep all the dancing genes then? How can you dance like you do, but not pass that on?
PS, they do look wonderful.

Amanda said...

They are really very cute....it's amazing how a good haircut makes you feel :)

DSB said...

You have adorable girls! How cute that they're starting to get a bit more girly.