Saturday, March 10, 2007

Operation Christmas Child


We have participated in Operation Christmas Child intermittently over the years. This is an organization that collects shoe boxes filled with toys, school supplies, hygiene items, etc. and distributes them to children in desperate situations around the world at Christmas.
Whenever my children put the boxes together, I have always had them include a school picture of themselves with their name, age, and address on the back.
About 3 years ago, Sydney received a letter from a girl in Armenia (I had never even heard of this country) who received one of the boxes 6 years before. She had saved Syd's picture, and was beginning to learn English in school. She asked Sydney to be her pen pal. They now correspond regularly via snail mail and email.
Today, she received a letter in the mail. Thought I'd share with you a portion of her letter with you:
Please write about your friends or the closest one. What is friendship for you?
As for me, friendship is a very great thing. A real friend makes your life happier and more interesting. She/he is clear to you, and you want your friendship to last for a long time. By the way, in my opinion boys are better friends than girls. I myself have a friend who is a boy and I trust him a lot. What do you think about friendship with a boy?

Are you as impressed with this girl's English skills as I am????
Holy crap...she writes better than I do:0

Remember to spring forward!!!! TTFN

7 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

No matter what country, it seems that children from all over the world can communicate much better than us adults. I'm all for pen pals, unless they're incarcerated.

CrazyDeb said...

I've always thought this was a great program - it's the only Christmas present some kids get, EVER! I'd never thought about it being a way to start a pen pal relationship. This young woman seems to be wise beyond her years - she has probably had to grow up fast. Her English is wonderful. I'm so glad you encouraged the kids to put their pictures, etc. in the boxes. Maybe some day they can meet face to face.

Yawn! Time to catch up on that hour of sleep! :o)

DW

Amy P said...

What a great program, if your still doing it this next Christmas, we'd love to join in.

CrazyDeb said...

Have you shared this with Shari M? She organized this at church for a long time and I think she would love this story!

DW

Anonymous said...

wow, we would, also. how awesome for sydney to have a penpal. what a great experience. and, how true those words really are. do any of us stop to think about that kind of deep stuff often?
let us know about that christmas thing...
sis m

EE said...

DW...Who is Shari M????
Sister M and Amy...I'll try to remember!!!

CrazyDeb said...

Shari Margheim - she leads WEB now but did organize the Christmas Child for a few years and would deliver the boxes. Her hubby sings and plays keyboard sometimes.

DW
(hate it when I can't get to sleep)