Monday, January 29, 2007

The Unibomber


OK, I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but SOMETIMES I leave the kids in the car by themselves while I run short errands. I watch the news, and see horror stories about car jackings and abductions by pedophiles. Maybe, I'm lured into a false sense of security by the fact that we live in little ole C, Missouri...things like that don't happen here; or maybe I feel that my kids are 12, 10, and 7... they're old enough to follow the very detailed and descriptive instructions that I've drilled into them if such an emergency might occur (i.e. push the red OnStar button and lay on the horn to draw attention to yourself, etc.) but the fact is that I do let them stay in the car if I'm able to park directly in front of the store and am only going to be gone for 5-10 minutes.
Anyway, I stopped by the HyVee gas station to pick up my favorite fat-free (so they say) cappuccino with Reilly and Griff in the car. I had them lock up behind me, as always. I was gone 3 minutes max. When I returned to the car, Reilly was climbing back into the front seat (don't worry, the airbags automatically turn off). Me: What's up? Why were you in the backseat?
R: I saw someone suspicious.
G: Yeah, WE saw someone suspicious! (He seemed pretty excited by this)
Me: Well, what did this person look like?
R: It was a man. He had on all black and he had a hood on. (the unibomber?????)
G: Yeah, and he had his hands in his pockets.
Me: Why does putting your hands in your pockets make you look suspicious.
R: Because when people put their hands in their pockets it makes me think that they might be stealing something.
Me: Or maybe they might just be cold.
G: Oh, snap, I didn't think of that!

On the way to the doctor this afternoon...R had to get a Strep test (which was neg.)...I stopped by the convenience store to get my favorite beverage. I park in front of the store, and was gone 2 or 3 minutes. When I got back to the vehicle, Reilly AGAIN was climbing back into the front seat.
Me: You saw someone suspicious again, didn't you?
R: Yes, he had spikey hair & sunglasses. He looked creepy.
Me: You know, not all people with spikey hair and sunglasses are creepy. Sometimes people who look perfectly normal are creepy.
R: I know, he just scared me, though.
I think it's time to start dragging them in everywhere I go...at least the younger two!!!
Check out MOM101's take on this subject!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have been home, too, watching all of our dvd's since the kids are sick. the one that we watched all day yesterday was that safe side video made by the creator of baby einstein & john walsh from america's most wanted. those people that G is referring to (according to the video) are called "DON"T KNOW" people & he should really be commended on being leary of any DON'T KNOW people. The other people that you kind of know are refered to as just that..."KIND of KNOWS" you know who they are but you never go with them unless your parent or safety designated person says it's OK. EE, you should really watch this video with your children. I would have to say that G was right....be leary of any DON'T KNOW people because you can't tell who is nice & who isn't. Very basic but we don't want to teach them that they have to talk to just anyone or be friendly to just anyone! i know we have that problem ourselves. :) sister m

CrazyDeb said...

It is sad that people can't leave their kids in the car for just a few minutes and you are right to tell them that some of the worst strangers do not look weird. But now, I would like to remind you of a former blog you wrote about chasing some guy back to a dumpster or something? Remember some of the sickos look like it and some don't!

Love ya!

CrazyDeb

imaeskimo said...

That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while...lol...