Thursday, October 12, 2006

Wedding Rings


I never really thought about how much people look at your wedding ring finger to determine your marital status, until I jammed that finger (playing soccer) and was unable to wear mine for a month. I went into my dad's office one day and was sitting at my sister's desk, when a guy who I hadn't seen in a while came in. We were talking and he suddenly says, "So, are you divorced now, too?" I was like, "No, why???" He said that he noticed that I was not wearing a wedding ring. That really ticked me off. Not because of what he asked...it was the condescending tone in which he asked it. My sis has been divorced and is now happily married, and I took it as he was implying that there was something wrong with US (my sis and I)because he thought we both had failed marraiges under our belts.
After this incident, whenever I see someone I haven't seen in a while, I catch myself looking at their ring finger to try to determine they're marital status. Am I making judgements if I see a ringless finger...gosh, I hope not!!! If I was before, I am definitely trying not to now...that the ring is on the other finger (LOL- get it????)
I was subbing today and was talking with someone I hadn't seen in a while. We were talking about the funky sleeping arrangements in our house, and how I was complaining to Steve that I didn't feel married anymore (our busy schedules have not permitted us much alone time lately) and I felt the glance down at the finger. I quickly assured her that we were doing great. Then it hit me as I was driving home...I wasn't wearing my ring...had forgotten to put it on this morning...DOH!!!

No comments: