Saturday, September 02, 2006

Scaring Young Children


After meals, my Papa used to lie on the floor with a toothpick in his mouth. I would beg him not to do this, because it was a choking hazard. He would pretend to fall asleep, flick the toothpick in his mouth with his tongue (definitely an impressive trick), and would snort once, then lie completely still. I would try to shake him awake...to no avail. Deep down, I knew he was pretending...this happened after every meal that we shared with my Grandparents, but I would convince myself that maybe THIS one time he was legitimately choking. I would start crying and yell for the other adults to come help. Of course, he would wake up, take the toothpick out of his mouth, and start laughing. The other adults would get onto him for scaring me! To this day, toothpicks freak me out!!!!
PS The pants and the white belt...definitely another example of a Crime of Fashion!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and, beer belly hanging out. i remember the toothprick...i mean toothpick (total slip) trick. Thanks for the memory! Love, meg