Sunday, July 30, 2006

Could You Pass 8th Grade Math?

The thought of doing math, makes me want to throw up. My kids stopped asking me for help in the 2nd grade...thank God HH is a math wiz, and they seem to take after him!
I only completed Algebra I and Geometry in High School...with a little help from my friends;) My mom and dad hired my boyfriend to tutor me in Geometry...He would get so frustrated, that he wound up doing my homework for me every night!! When I got to college, got a D in Math 10 (with a full-time tutor, who would NOT do my homework for me). I was taking the course during the summer at Columbia College and the D did not transfer. Had a little better luck with Statistics...got a C, and that fulfilled my Math requirement for graduation. The most difficult math course that I encountered, though, was Math For The Elementary Teacher. I also took this course during the summer, and had high school friends (Math majors and TAs at MU) coming over daily...they were shocked at the complexity of the problems. For the promise of a few beverages at the end of the week, they completed all of my assignments.
Now, I am definitely not proud of this...I'd like to think of myself as basically an honest person, but what was a girl to do? It wasn't for lack of studying... My mind just did (still does) not grasp mathematical concepts. It's probably an undiagnosed Learning Disability...or Math Anxiety. Whatever it was/is, it affects me daily...just ask my husband about my abilities with the checkbook;)
I graduated in 1992 from William Woods with a 3.4 gradepoint average...I'm not a complete idiot (ok, some may disagree)!! But, you put a group of numbers in front of me and I freak out.
So, when I saw this test, I had to take it...had to know!!! I got a 7/10...woohoo! Ok, I guessed on half the problems, but that counts, doesn't it? Could you pass 8th Grade Math? Take the test, and let me know!
You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 7/10 correct!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I am so thankful not to be in school!! Math was one of my easiest subjects but this was a struggle. Ok, really arithmetic was easy - math not as much. This took a lot longer than it should have but I got 9 out of 10.

DW

EE said...

You rock!!!
I'll bet that you didn't even have to guess on any of the problems:)

Anonymous said...

i didn't get past question number 1

Anonymous said...

i didn't get past question number 1