Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Slave To Voicemail

I'm a slave to new technology! I don't remember what life was like before Caller ID and voicemail...I can't imagine life without it...I love it...I hate it...it drives me absolutely crazy!!! The phone rings...inevitibly, I am in my room with the only phone without Caller ID. Now, we have 6 land lines, 2 of which are portable, and I have to scramble to find a phone to tell me the identity of the caller. I've learned my lesson, answering this phone in my bedroom...I've wound up financially supporting causes (some of which I don't even believe in, some which are totally bogus) because I have been unable to say 'no'. I have agreed to give numerous pints of blood to the Red Cross, even though I am borderline amnemic and it sometimes makes me physically sick. I have agreed on the spot to chair committees, babysit OPKs for days at a time, take dinners to families in need (even though I rarely cook for my own family)...OK, you get the drift. I'm wishy-washy, I'm passive/aggressive, I'm a mess!!! Anyway, after pushing the button on the base to retrieve the portable, the phone has stopped ringing. I scroll through the missed calls, only to find that someone has left a dreaded voicemail. What does this mean?????? Who is calling me???? What do they want????? Will I have to shower, brush my teeth, leave my bedroom haven (if you haven't guessed, I have anxiety issues...and, I'm just plain lazy). I check my cell phone (after locating it under a pile of laundry on my dining room table), figuring if it's important the person will call me there....
Finally, I let it go...I'll check it later....
After 2 or 3 days of doing this, I work up the nerve to dial the voicemail retrieval system only to hear..."you have 8 new messages"....eek!!!!!!!! I get out a notepad, listen to the messages (copiously taking notes), finally psych myself up to return these calls, and boom........the phone rings, AGAIN!!!!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That is hysterical! I never answer the phone without seeing who it is...especially don't answer if it is my mother in law. LOL. Your blog is fun! Glad I wandered on to it!