Saturday, June 17, 2006

The "C" Word

We got some terrible news this week...my mother found a lump on her breast and went in for a mammogram and biopsy, and it is cancer. She has a moderately growing tumor (correct me if I'm wrong, mom) that is a little less than a mm. She is waiting for the surgeon to return from vacation so that she can have a Lumpectomy. This is sooooo scary...she is 56 years old, exercises regularly, doesn't smoke, has a healthy diet... does everything right. It doesn't seem fair!!!
The family doesn't know what to do with this.... Mom seems to be dealing with it better than the rest of us. When we heard the news, we all got on the phone to gather information on the best doctors, others who have experienced similar conditions, etc., etc.... then, we'd call each other to compare notes and finally call Mom to report our findings. Mom said that she was going to have to reign us all in...I think we were driving her nuts!!!
It's really hard, because I don't know quite how to act around her... I tend to use humor when I am scared or uncomfortable. I definitely don't want to offend her, but at the same time want to make her smile. It's also hard, because I want to physically do something to help...I don't think my 25 phone calls to her a day are the answer....LOL! Right now, I am praying for her. Praying for her physical and emotional well-being.... Praying for the wisdom of the doctors and for God's power to heal...and finally, praying for my dad. I believe in the power of prayer, so all of you Prayer Warriors out there....GET ON IT!
On a lighter note, I just looked over at my son who is in the bed beside me, and he had his foot in his mouth...very gross!!!!! Anyway, I asked him what the problem was and he replied that his toes were itching...eeeewwwww!
Have a great day tomorrow!!! Give your dad's out there big hugs and kisses and appreciate the heck out of them!!!! TTFN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the humor - your mother loves you and knows you and appreciates your humor. I believe she would rather you be yourself and deal with things as you always have than try to be something you are not or behave in a way that is not you. You are all in my prayers. Keep us updated!

Love you! Debbie W.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, EE. You are a wonderful daughter and I love you!!